Thank you for considering the Black Loyalist Heritage Centre as your venue for your upcoming event. To book your event please call 902 875-1310.
Enjoy service, comfort and versatility in a unique surrounding at the Black Loyalist Centre (BLHC). We offer professional service and accessible facilities, combined with the amenities and technology necessary for today’s meetings and events. Our spaces are a perfect choice for meeting rooms, press conferences, presentations, and intimate receptions. Events are made special by hosting in our backyard that includes a fire pit and overlooks the beautiful Birchtown Bay.
- A unique gallery setting with seating for 75
- A spacious multipurpose room that accommodates 40 with theatre style seating
- A backyard that can accommodate up to 50 people
- Wireless internet
- Accessibility in our building for those with mobility challenges
- Audio-visual equipment
- Projectors and screens
- Flip charts and other meeting tools, portable screen, and projector
- Complete kitchen outfitted with two stoves, two microwaves, large refrigerator & freezer, industrial dishwasher and large stainless steel island for food preparations
- Coffee maker and other small appliances
- Dishware for a group of 100
Important things about booking the Sharon Oliver Education Centre
Sharon Oliver Education Centre
If you are hosting a small meeting or conducting training, the Sharon Oliver Education Centre is suitable for tabled discussions of up to 30 people depending on table set up and 40 with theatre style seating. Clients may alter room set up for the purpose of their event but are asked to return it to its previous state when they are done.
Because we are a Community Centre we also provide kitchen facilities for catering which must be arranged by renter of facility.
- Available from 8:00 am to 11:00 pm
- Can accommodate 30 to 40 people depending on seating arrangement
- Room divider for breakout sessions
- The Centre is open to the public until 5:00 pm. However, to accommodate clients, access to the Centre’s loading bay area and catering prep area is allowed at 10:00 am the day of the event. Some exceptions can be made if your event is open to the public.
- Rental of the Education Centre includes use of the facility’s tables and chairs. The Centre owns 13 rectangular tables (banquet size) and 75 grey chairs. It should be noted that the Centre does have linens and table dressing as part of the rental agreement. These could be provided at an additional cost.
- Food and drink are restricted to the meeting area and kitchen during day time events. If the client needs to host a pre-reception, our lobby/foyer) and backyard would be ideal locations for this use depending on the season.
- All areas in our building are wheelchair accessible
The room is equipped with white board, markers, dry eraser flip charts, portable screen, projector, television, internet, data connection and telephone. Long distance calls are not permitted but tool free teleconferencing is available. Organizing conference calls is the responsibility of renter.
- Fee for half day/evening is $120.00
- Fee for full day is $210.00
- Special rate available for not for profit organizations
Planning a presentation, press conference or a (remove) panel discussion? The BLHC accommodates lecture style presentations of various sizes, banquet tables and seating for 75. Additional seating can be provided.
June to September
- Available after 6:00 pm
- Can accommodate up to 75 people with table seating
October to May Availability can be arranged accordingly
- The gallery is equipped with flip chart, screen, projector, DVD player, TV, podium, Internet connection and coat closet.
- Half Day/Evening fee is $200.00 (1 to 4 hours) depending on time of year
- Full Day fee is $400.00
- Additional $15.00 per hour per should this be for staff tours
- $50.00 fee for clean-up
- Complete kitchen outfitted with two ranges, two microwaves, large refrigerator & freezer, industrial dishwasher, stainless steel island for food preparations
- Bunn coffee maker and other small appliances
- Place settings for a group of 100
- Rental cost to be negotiated depending on required use
- Our backyard looks out towards Birchtown Bay which offers a natural setting with fire pit and seating and tables for 50 people for informal events or events such as wine and cheese receptions.
- Propane barbeque available
- Rental fees will vary (depending on) staff involvement and service required
- Fee to be negotiated depending on required use
Things to Consider When Booking Our Spaces
Centre staff are not available for set up, but will assist if additional furniture/equipment is needed. All rooms must be in good order when vacated. All areas within the Centre are equipped with video security.
Renting organizations are responsible to set up the room in the configuration they require for their meeting or event. Please advise staff if you need a specific number of tables and chairs as we want to ensure you we can accommodate your needs or inform you if additional equipment is required at your cost.
Centre staff are not responsible for catering/refreshment arrangement and lost or missing catering equipment. The organization renting the space is responsible for informing front staff contact if they are expecting catering, and must provide a contact number. Groups must ensure caterers pick up their equipment after the meeting.
Liquor cannot be served during open public hours, but is allowed when the Centre is closed. Prior permission from the Centre and the Special Occasion Liquor License is required (Class 1), (Class 2 if selling liquor). License applications can be picked up at any Nova Scotia Liquor Commission store. Provincial Laws require that the liquor license be posted in plain view.
Rental includes cost of site security after 4:00 pm at $15 per hour. Security deposit is required at time of booking.
Please use the main entrance unless other arrangements have been made.
Facility renter will be given access to Centre by BLHC staff and they will remain on site until event is over.
Public Hours of Operation
(November 1 to May 1) by appointment
Monday to Friday: 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
(May 2 to October 31)
Monday to Sunday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Parking is available across the street or adjacent to Centre.
There is limited parking, however, the Birchtown Community Centre does have parking spaces available.
Cancellation must be received 48 hours prior to booking date.
A cancellation fee maybe charged to the renter if 48 hour notice has not been received via telephone. Cancellation due to inclement weather is exempt.
The Centre will not assume liability for personal injury, loss, theft, or damage to equipment resulting from actions of any person or group renting Centre facilities.