Executive Director, Black Loyalist Heritage Centre
The Board of Directors of the Black Loyalist Heritage Society is looking to hire an Executive Director for the Black Loyalist Heritage Centre.
The Black Loyalist Heritage Society, a not-for-profit organization, was established in 1990. It is governed by a volunteer board that manages the Black Loyalist Heritage Site.
Reporting to the President of the Black Loyalist Heritage Society (BLHS), the Executive Director:
- works with the Board and its committees to achieve BLHS’s objectives;
- has overall responsibility for the development and management of BLHS and its human, physical and financial resources;
- is the official spokesperson for the BLHS with the media, government, partners, public, community, educational institutions, and funding partners;
- attends events and promotes BLHS and its activities to build awareness of the Black Loyalist and its place in history interjurisdictionally with all relevant stakeholders;
- leads BLHS’s fundraising and promotion/marketing with oversight of the programming and collection development activities;
- is responsible for enhancing the Black Loyalist site;acts as the principal representative of the BLHS to all stakeholders; and performs other duties as directed by the Board.
- A Master’s Degree plus 3 years’ experience or a Bachelor’s Degree plus 5 years’ experience working in a specialized area relating to museum work.
- Experience working with the African Nova Scotia communities and/or organizations will be a requirement
Skills & Abilities
Candidate should be able to demonstrate, from previous experience, skills in:
- Leading, motivating and developing teams
- Working with volunteer boards
- Generating resources, fundraising, budget and general financial management
- Working independently and organizing priorities and managing resources
- Building relationships with a varying communities and other stakeholders
- Communication: oral and written, presentations and articulating a vision
- Cross-cultural work
- Enthusiasm and passion for the work of BLHS
- Sound judgement in uncertain situations, analyzing and solving problems
- The Executive Director works in an office with frequent trips for meetings within the province. There will also be occasional evening and weekend meetings.
Application Deadline May 18, 2018. Email application to firstname.lastname@example.org or via mail Attn: Chairperson HRC Black Loyalist Heritage Society 119 Birchtown Road Site 10, Mod 3, Comp 14 Shelburne, NS B0T 1W0